Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Chicago Road Trip that Wasn't

My friend, the Big Bad Baseball Voodooman, Tim Bungeroth, recently moved back to his Sweet Home Chicago with his wife after an absence of over 15 years. His entire family, who have been all over the map, including Philadelphia and San Francisco over the years, are now all located in the Windy City, including his brother Billy, who basically never left, and has built up a solid career directing at Second City and, you know, just bein' a rockstar and stuff in his band, J.C. Brooks and the Uptown Sound.

As April got underway, I located these Mets Cubs games on the schedule and thought to myself, "That's a good excuse for a road trip to Chicago." My plan had been to take Sunday, May 10, off from work at Two Boots, rent a car, load it up with the Bungeroth's stuff from the storage unit we rent together, and drive on out there on a solo shot. See my friends, help 'em out, and see some Wrigley baseball with the Metsies in town.

The whole thing, however, was wildly impractical. There are a lot of things I need to get done, catch up on, and what not, here in New York City, and if I were currently in Chicago, or gearing up to come back after watching Thor tonight make his Major League Debut, I would have been throwing money into the wind, as well as caution, and right now, after an "adult" life of throwing caution into the wind, I have to decide differently.

Since the rivalry has suffered after realignment severely depleted the amount of games the Mets and Cubs play each other, I will not have another opportunity to make the road trip to Chicago, something I've never done, while the Mets are in town till 2016. I will have most likely already taken my inaugural drive to the Midwestern Metropolis by then, but no doubt it will be epic on the next go 'round nonetheless.


By the way, if you're into comics, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and/or Nintendo, follow Tim Bungeroth on twitter, and check out his comic book, Minor League Comics.

LOCK. IT. DOWN. THOR.
LET'S. GO. METS.

No comments:

Post a Comment