Saturday, June 29, 2013

That's a STUPID Loss, Terry & Meeting Lou Christie


I still haven't gotten over the 8th inning of last night's game, where Terry Collins overmanaged the shit out of everything and Matt Harvey's 8th win dissipated quickly. I don't know if I can have a conversation with anybody on the lenient side of things because I won't be persuaded. That inning and the way he used 2 pitchers who probably should have never pitched last night brought up all these emotions regarding Terry that I had when the Mets were losing more.

Though you may disagree with me on this, these collection of players have what it takes to win, though yeah, they could seriously use some other bodies. They have put themselves in spectacular positions to win over the last week and a half, but last night, for me, just proves that it's all moot.

No matter how much success this group has, it's all just delaying the inevitable.

Overmanaging runs rampant throughout baseball, and Terry Collins is certainly one of the top perpetrators.

You have a 3-run lead and the tying run isn't even at the plate. You have 2 OUT in the 8th inning. YOU'RE RIGHT THERE. Why use so many fucking arms? Let David Aardsma finish it out. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY MATCHUPS ALL THE TIME.

They've been playing so well, and they were home for the 1st time in a while in a position to take the 1st game against a divisional rival once more, in front of your hometown fans who you're lucky enough to have actually spending their money in your ballpark. STOP BEING SO PARANOID TO THE POINT THAT YOU USE ARMS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED FOR TODAY, OR TOMORROW, OR WHATEVER.

Rant done. That's basically all it. Terry Collins keeps proving he's not the long-term answer for this franchise in the managerial position. I like him, and I like many things he has done for this franchise over the last 2 1/2 years. 

I don't know, though, if I'll ever change my position regarding him, though I always root for a Metsian Miracle.


My highlight of the night before Terry severely pissed me off occurred about an hour and a half before the game.

I cashier at a store called 9th Ave Vintner, a fantastic wine and spirits store off of 46th Street.

This guy walked in last night whom I had seen in the store before, but this time when I saw him, I thought to myself, "He looks like he's a doo woo guy," or something along those lines. I didn't recognize him as anybody in particular, I just had this feeling, though I was generalizing based on his slicked back longish hair and other features that older gentleman who came of age in the 50's and 60's sometimes have these days.

I swiped his credit card and then opened the drawer to put the receipt in it while he was on his way out. I then decided to look at the receipt, which always has a name on it, since the name on his credit card didn't really give it away (actually, had I given it a better look, the alias stamped on his credit card would have totally given it away.)

There on the receipt was the name, "Lou Christie."

I quickly looked up and said, "Are you THE Lou Christie?"

He smiled and said, "Yeah."

I extended my hand and we shook as I said, "It's great to meet you, I'm a huge fan, man."

"Thanks. You listen to all kinds of music?"

"Absolutely, but I was raised on oldies music."

He opened the door and said as he walked out, "Well, we saved you! We saved you!"


Lightning Strikes Again, I would say, is probably his most famous song, but he had plenty of hits in the 60's. When I got home, I looked up some of his others, and the title of the song below sums up what I feel about the Mets under Terry Collins.

Enjoy today's game everybody.

LET'S. GO. METS.


Thanks for reading! Follow me on Twitter @convertedmetfan. And for the latest on a Brooklyn Baseball TV Series I am developing, Like the Bedford & Sullivan Facebook page, and follow on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment