Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Everything Goes So Wrong So Quickly

That image right there is the first time my eyes are coming in contact with the Orange and Blue's latest tragedy. I was supposed to go last night but had to take part in Comedies, Tragedies, and other matters of Fools. I followed on the At Bat through most of the game, actually thinking for a second another recovering shoulder could pitch the impossible for the 2012 New York Mets. But then, the unraveling words blinked across the screen and a bid for the 1st perfect game in Metropolitan history turned into a 1-4 deficit, and the regular comedy of errors ensued.

I can't say, "Well, I'm glad I didn't go," 'cause I'll never pass up a Mets game, no matter what the outcome of the experience is. But I will say I am glad to have experienced it the way I did. All my brain has of the events that evolved tonight is the fact Young was perfect through 5, an injury delay occurred sometime in the early innings, Terry Collins got thrown out arguing something that had to do with Andres Torres getting tagged out between 2nd and 3rd, and the relievers didn't do their jobs (I guess it told me the Mets scored some runs too...) I was able to listen to the last 3 outs, but Howie and Josh didn't say anything we weren't thinking.

Through the entire 2nd half, we have yet to see the Mets break out of it during a deficit, and score 5 in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead. Their losses have been mostly tragic, and they usually control the games they win (with some exceptions when they pulled it off despite certain elements.) Odds say at least 1 win of the remaining games will be an inspiring come-from-behind home victory. This team, however, is showing no signs they are about to do that. 

Maybe they will at some point. But so far, that 6th inning is a great metaphor for how this 2nd half has gone.

Oh, and by the way, the Rockies have now won 6 straight in the Citi.


LET'S. GO. METS.


Thanks for reading! Follow me on Twitter @convertedmetfan. And for Rising Apple twitter updates, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment