Monday, October 28, 2013

A Thrilling But Bizarre World Series So Far


First off, you can't let a World Series game end like this.



I said in the Dodgers/Cardinals series that the whole thing might come down to Mike Matheny just being a better manager, and as this Fall Classic played on, I thought that might again be the case with John Farrell making so many 2nd guess-type moves, seemingly unable to navigate the National League waters with the series now in St. Louis. But it appears this World Series is just going to come down to who makes the least amount of rookie mistakes.

There was Beltran, standing at the plate, having a great World Series in his first trip to the Fall Classic, unable to do anything about the end of Game 4, arguably the most important game in a 7-game series.

In regards to the obstruction call of Saturday night, I had been on my way home, listening to the game on the radio, pumped up to get home with a "Kinda-Halloween Weekend" buzz goin', turn the TV on, sit on the couch, have a glass of wine, and watch some extra innings of the World Series. I turn it on, turn my MLB Gameday Radio off, and literally, the next pitch I see is this ending.


Just as many of us, I couldn't believe what I just saw. Even Tim McCarver said he couldn't remember a GAME ending that way, much less a World Series game. Firstly, Jarrod Saltalamacchia thinking he had the bum-legged Allen Craig at 3rd was a bit overaggressive, and the throw arguably shouldn't have been made. In regards to the actual obstruction call, I'll say what I said that night….WHERE WAS THE FIELDER SUPPOSED TO GO?! 

"Incidental contact," to quote Ted.

But I guess….I guess….the umps and Joe explained the whole thing enough for me to drop it.

Anyway, outside of all the actual baseball still being played, I had a blast this weekend reviewing the 2013 seasons of Omar Quintanilla and Josh Satin. Over at Rising Apple, we have been going through the entire 2013 Mets roster this month and reviewing the players' individual seasons, as well as speculating what their next role will be, either on the Mets or someplace else. As many people have been saying- those players may be mediocre at best...but my posts regarding them certainly aren't. Make sure to take a read.

I also interviewed retired SF State lecturer Svein Arber on the Bedford & Sullivan podcast regarding "Seasons Past," a book he co-wrote with Ford Hovis under the pen name, "Damon Rice." The book informally rides through baseball history, mainly New York's, leading up to the Dodgers and Giants exit, as told through 3 generations of the Rice family. The book is great, and with so many questions and so much material to cover, the podcast episode from the weekend is certainly the first of more to come about the novel. Take a listen.

And lastly, a legend of Rock 'n Roll died yesterday. New York's own Lou Reed, the lead singer of the 60's Velvet Underground (a band that is said to have spawned millions of people to start their own band after buying their first record) also had a great solo career, and that is where I go for a Song of the Day. If you haven't heard all of the album, "New York," do yourself a favor and listen to the record either today or over the next couple days. For now, we go to the album's 2nd track, "The Halloween Parade."

REST. EA. SY. LOU.
LET'S. GO. METS.


Thanks for reading! Follow me on Twitter @convertedmetfan. And for the latest on a Brooklyn Baseball TV Series I am developing, Like the Bedford & Sullivan Facebook page, and follow on Twitter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment