Saturday, April 14, 2012

And The Orange and Blue Shines Through

Friday Night, The Mets headed into Philadelphia, PA, for an early season showdown with our Jersey Turnpike rivals. Sporting some fantastic new/old road jerseys, the Mets took the first game of the series, 5-2, at Citizens Bank Park.

I don't know what I am more excited about: The win or the fact we've got our blue hats back on the road. Obviously the win, but definitely a combination of both, with the win enhancing the awesomeness of the Orange and Blue out on the field. The uniforms were extremely sharp, and after years of only the hybrid cap and the black uniforms away from the Citi, what a pleasant sight for the eyes to rest upon. They look like the Mets we all know and love out there.

This was the first game I ever watched while on Twitter basically the whole time, commenting on the events, talking with other fans and bloggers about the game and random other Met interests. Before joining, I was skeptical of this new form of communication, and while it clearly has its pros and cons, I did enjoy the experience.

After Terry talked Wednesday afternoon about jumping on hittable pitches early in the count, it was fantastic to see the Mets aggressive early on against one of the best pitchers in baseball. Both RA Dickey and Cliff Lee work extremely fast, and before we knew it, the game was in the 9th inning, just in time for Kyle Kendrick to slow it down.

The knuckleball looked fantastic. Robert Allen did a great job setting up with his fastball and got the Phillies to strike out 7 times. So much fun watching him pitch.

Nice to see Jason Bay drive the ball with authority the other way. I wonder if the weight of performing in front of us was lifted once he got on the road. Something to monitor as we go along.

Thole had such a blank look on his face during that boneheaded play. Luckily, it didn't come to bite us in the rear-end later on and we can all just laugh at the absurdity. At least RA got the bunt down.

BOOM!! Hanging Curve? Meet Scott Hairston. 

I had a lot of notes from this game, but I'm writing this late and have to get up early to drive to Philly. As I've said, my friends (including The Baseball Voodoo Gypsy) and I unfortunately won't be able to make any game, but I will be rolling in wearing my Blue RA Dickey Throwback.

I'm sure I won't get the same relatively cordial response I got last time since we're playing them, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna represent. Let's go, Niese.







LET'S. GO. METS. 

Thanks for reading! Converted Mets Fan is now on Twitter. Follow me here. And for Rising Apple twitter updates, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment