Monday, April 27, 2015

The Reason Why I Left

Once upon a time, I rooted for a team up north. This team helped drive me into being obsessed with the game of baseball to a historian's level beginning at the age of 13. I moved to New York at the age of 10, and with a 6th grade teacher from the Bronk's land in 1996, and arriving to see the top of the 9th of game 6 by happenstance, I was thrusted into understanding what baseball means in this town when, poking my head out of my 2nd floor window at the corner of 12th and 7th Avenue, I heard spontaneous celebrations commencing from people in the streets and the horns of taxis and cars.

And then they won another one.
And then they won another one.
And then they won an all-NY other one.

Throw in a World Series for the ages with the team that I was 2 years removed from living in their Sunshine State, and I was beginning to really understand what this baseball thing is all about.

Oh, and meanwhile, there was another NY team around that was pretty darn good at the time, too.

Eventually, I went through a metamorphosis as adulthood, or the age of it at least, knocked on my door.

So, why did I leave?

Because despite all those championships, all those great players over the ages...

All the momuments, facades, retired numbers...

The hall of famers, the navy-blue pinstripes...

Despite all of that, I left because they don't remind me of baseball.

As a Mets fan, I can look at the 28 other teams and relate to them.

As a Yankee fan, I couldn't relate to the other 29.

Some Yankee fans may relish that house on a hill fact. By the time I was settling into the 2000's, something had to change.

Looking back, it was better for me to have watched my at-the-time Yankee team lose in 7 games to Arizona than win their 4th in a row. I'm better for having taken one on the chin then.

I'm better for having gone through a rough first decade as a Mets fan, having taken multiple blows on the chin.

I've made this analysis before, in my first ever post, and this is my ego at full throttle...

I feel the entire history of the New York Mets was just lived these past 10 years, and it was needed to get the full Metsian experience.

So, even though it's time for a new experience, we, and the 2015 New York Mets, will be better in the long haul for having taken one on the chin from our crosstown rivals.

Most guys do look good in a well-fit suit and tie.

But we don't have to wear one everyday.

I do my job quite fine in a t-shirt and jeans, thank you much.


Now, to beat those pesky Marlins...

LET'S. GO. BASEBALL.
LET'S. GO. METS.




No comments:

Post a Comment