Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy Baseball

I feel as if I should say that year-round.

"Happy baseball."

Most people would look at me funny, if they don't already when I open my mouth.

But that's me. That's what I feel like saying.

I have no idea what it means...

But its what I want people to have.

As I've mentioned on here before, baseball is my religion.

And while culturally I am Jewish, my Dad was a Christian and my mother is of the Hebrew faith. As I entered true human consciousness (after that crazy phase where you make funny faces constantly, all while taking in the world for the first time ever and not remembering one single moment where you first learned all that human stuff...very sorry for the digression) I looked at that Santa Claus guy and basically said, "NO WAY I'm going to live in a world where I don't get to enjoy THAT." And my parents, each reformed in their own religions, ate up the holiday season with me.

(And had Santa always looked like that up there, I probably would have become a Mets fan a lot sooner.)

My Dad eventually converted to Judaism though.

"Does this mean we have to stop celebrating Christmas?"

'Cause when it comes down to it, I guess I'm more American than anything. And the Christmas we know today is a grand American invention taken from many old traditions, and some new ones that aren't as old as we all think they are.

And I love it.

I love the warmth of the Holiday season, the lights and the city, the food and the family. And the music.

Oh, man, the music is awesome.

(And, let's be honest, probably written by a bunch of Jews.)

I am not Jewish
nor Christian
nor Buddist
nor Muslim.

Nor Raelian
nor Hindu 
nor Druid 
nor Pagan.

I am American.
And I am a Metropolitan.

Happy baseball, everybody.

Through the years
We all will be together
If the fates allow.
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself a Merry Little Christmas now.

MERRY. CHRISTMAS.
LET'S. GO. METS.

Thanks for reading! Follow me on Twitter @convertedmetfan. And for Rising Apple twitter updates, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment