Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Get This Schwit Outta Here

If the outcome of this series were backwards, The 2012 New York Mets would be 16-9 right now. "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda's", however, do not exist in this world, and the truth of the matter is the Mets roll back into Citi Field with a 13-12 record, losing to the Astros today by a score of 1-8, completing an embarrassing sweep to the team from Houston.

Ruben Tejada started the day off hitting a fly ball to the left field scoreboard off of Astros ace Wandy Rodriguez, which the fielder could not handle. After dogging it out of the box, however, he was thrown out at 3rd trying to stretch a double into a triple. As I listened to Howie Rose inform me of this, my eyes rolled backwards, and I got a funny feeling this would not be an Orange and Blue afternoon, regardless of the fact Ruben went 3 for 4.

From what Chris Schwinden has shown me, I do not believe the guy can pitch in the major leagues. I just don't believe it. After two duds in a row, he should not get another start. There will be calls from some corners of the Mets universe to bring up the young guns Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia, but I believe the conservative approach the Mets are taking is the right way to go about it. They need to have consistent success above Double-A for a couple months (and in Wallyball) before they should even be considered to take over Mike Pelfrey's spot. It sounds like Matt Harvey, at the least, is on his way towards that consistency. For now, however, I would give the spot to Jeremy Hefner (who pitched a solid inning making his Major League debut against the Giants on April 23) or Garrett Olson (who has experience starting in the Majors, albeit without lot of success).

And what to do with Manny Acosta? After a solid second-half in 2011, he has stunk it up so far this year, collaborating with Schwinden twice on this 2-4 road trip to give up way too many runs for the Mets to stand a chance. Terry Collins says Manny is "overthrowing right now", "trying to do too much". I believe he'll either be designated for assignment in the next couple of days or be given a week to get it together.

After a day off, the Mets try to bounce back against the Arizona Diamondbacks this Friday at 7:10PM. My awesome girlfriend has surprised me with Delta Sky Club seats 11 rows behind home plate, and I can't thank her enough for it. I've never sat behind a Major League backstop, so saying I'm pumped is an understatement. Hopefully Dillon Gee and his Goatee can hold down the fort against Rookie of the Month Robber Wade Miley (Come on! No love for Cap'n Kirk?!)

LET'S. GO. METS.


Thanks for reading! Converted Mets Fan is now on Twitter. Follow me @convertedmetfan. And for Rising Apple twitter updates, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment