Monday, March 19, 2012

The Wilpons Settle and Pelf Keeps Tumbling Downhill


It’s been a long day and I am finally able to sit down and write about the Mets news of the last 24 hours. The most important information has been that the Wilpons and Irving Picard settled their differences for a puny $162 Million. I cannot even begin to understand the intricacies of this case, but this is apparently a huge win for the Wilpons based on what most people in the know have said. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York lays it out pretty solidly, and if you understand legal jargon here is the Court-issued settlement agreement. I have been torn on my opinion of this case and of the Wilpons for a while now. I was firmly against them before they fired Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel, but at that end-of-an-era press conference I thought they were earnest in taking responsibility for their role in letting the snowball keep accumulating more flakes. Clearly, their financial maladies are not good for the Mets, and I seesaw between whether they should sell for the good of the collective or whether we should all give them a chance to bounce back. The Mets are their property, and if they can go through all this and come out on the other side stronger than ever with their ball club asset intact, more power to them. But alas, the debate of whether a team is a private venture or a public service has existed since sports became a business interest.

I am happy, however, (and to be cliché about it since it's all anyone has said today, but it's true) I'm glad to get the focus back to baseball.

Hey! Guess what? Pelf sucks. He gave up eight runs on eight hits with four walks and four strikeouts in 2 2/3 innings in the Mets 5-9 loss to the Astros. The excuse from Pelf himself and Terry Collins was that he ramped up his velocity. The game was  not televised, but Michael Baron of Metsblog said here that Pelf once again looked "awful."

Yes, I know Pelf had a bad spring in 2010 before having a very good first half, but nothing he has done over the last year or so has instilled confidence in me that he can be a successful pitcher for our New York Mets. I look forward to the day Matt Harvey or Jeurys Familia replace him in the rotation.

I would love for him to have quality in his durability. Clearly, I would LOVE IT. And it isn't my fault I'm pessimistic in regards to Pelfrey. It's his Blaa-ness and his Blaa-ness alone.

But he got an RBI groundout in the 2nd!!

Ugh. Mike Pelfrey.

No comments:

Post a Comment