Monday, February 13, 2012

The 2011 Photo of the Day: Mets Graffiti

The 5 Pointz Aerosol Art Center is the Met fan's first sight out of the tunnel from Manhattan to Queens. Graffiti artists from all over the world come and spray on the side of the building. The sight of the place is awe-inspiring.

Early in 2011, on April 22nd, I took my little sister, who was Five at the time, to not only her first Mets game, but her first baseball game period. And just to digress real quick, here she is....

(NOT the 2011 Photo of the Day, but awesome nonetheless)

Anyway, the Graffiti Center, and the general New York view of the 7 train, was one of the many things I was excited to show her on this, her first baseball adventure. When we first emerged, I was as giddy as a kindergardener to show her the place, wanting to share its bright colors with a fellow appreciator of bright colors. You can only imagine how my excitement rose when we went around the train track bend:

the 2011 Photo of the Day
Pure Awesomeness. There are five tags there, with "The Franchise #41" and "Lets Go Mets" my two favorites. I'm not sure how often they spray over that section of the building, but I've seen many different Tags there throughout the years, these Mets Tags easily being my favorite. I will have to pay attention to how many times they change it this year.

Anyway, her first game couldn't have gone any better (unless, of course, we had witnessed the first Mets No-Hitter........which, I'm sure you are all aware, we didn't.) After showing her how it's done, she was as enthusiastic as anybody to start up a "Let's Go Mets!" cheer. Even though it was cold, she never complained, and only once told me, matter-of-fact, "We should come back here when it's not so cold." "That's a good idea," I said. 

The storyline on the field had the Mets down to Arizona 1-0 until the 7th, when Ike Davis, with a runner on, hit a long drive to straight-away center that hit off the top of the Big Apple nook. This section used to be in play, but, in what was the first attempt at "neutralizing" the dimensions (a paltry effort), they cut the orange line down to an even 8 feet right in front of the apple. The umpires called it a double on-field, but replays showed it hit above the orange line. They went inside while I explained to her what was going on, then they reemerged from viewing to signal it a Home Run. Ike circled the remaining bases, putting the Mets up 2-1. My sister and I jumped up and down, cheering and high-fiving each other. Ike is sweet. 

The Mets ended up tacking on 2 more runs, locking it down in the 8th and 9th for the win.

Then on the train heading back, she schooled some drunk Twentysomethings on how you get it done in Angry Birds.


DEESE KIDS 'N DEAH TECHNOLOGEEEE!


Thanks for reading! Converted Mets Fan is now on Twitter. Follow me @convertedmetfan. And for Rising Apple twitter updates, click here.










No comments:

Post a Comment